Influencing Without Authority
How do you influence when you have no formal authority? In today’s complex organizations knowing how to lead others effectively without authority is a powerful and useful skill. This class will teach you the noble skill of influence, meant to bring positive outcomes to others.
Tools For Influencing helps you gain alignment when you don’t seem to have the power to influence others. This workshop will introduce you to the outcomes, power bases and tools used in influence. You will learn to apply these tools in three different settings, influence through email, then one-on-one conversations, and finally influence with a group of people. Come to class prepared to discuss situations from your work experience where influence was necessary to advance the team or project, even when you had no official authority with the group.
Objectives and Outcomes:
- Learn the 4 potential outcomes from every influence situation you face
- Discover the 3 Power Bases to leverage when influencing
- Identify situations for using 12 different influence tools
- Apply your own real-world situations to the exercises in class
- Build an email to achieve your influence goal, even when you have no authority with the other person
- Apply a 3-step conversational tool for developing rapport and trust
- Learn why stories are such a powerful influence tool and how to use them